The department of chemistry was established in the year 1974 with B.Sc(CBZ) and expanded later with opening of B.Sc(PCM) combination.The department has the previlage of obtaining services of high standard from dedicated teachers who have succeeded in contributing to the growth of the department. Thousands of students have graduated in the last 42 years. They have entered the portals of Universities, Medical and law for their post graduation and bachelor of Education. Few others are rendering their services in the fields like banking, teaching, administrative.Most of our students pass out with distinction and high first class. some of our students secured ranks and gold medals at the university level. Many high school teachers and lecturers in kodagu district are our students and others find application of chemistry in their coffee plantation,agricultural field and day-to-day life.
Students are trained to be independent ,acquire basic and advanced knowledge in the subject. Monthly tests ,Seminars, Group Disscussions, Councelling, conducting quiz, industrial visits, guest lecturing are regular feature of the department. The Students are provided with information about the application of the subject in different fields which enables them to pursue higher studies and get employed in reputed organizations.Our students are mostly drawn from rural areas and are economically backward.Our interaction and guidance have motivated them to choose the career after graduation and helped them become successful and responsible individual.
- Books and periodicals
- Training program for the students in collaboration with Krishi Vignana Kendra, Gonikoppal
- Using OHP and LCD is a part of the regular teaching practice.
|Sl.No||NAME||DESIGNATION||QUALIFICATION||YEARS OF SERVICE|
NON TEACHING STAFF
|SL.NO||NAME||DESIGNATION||QUALIFICATION||YEARS OF SERVICE|
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- The department has its own library with good collection of books.
- Teaching is made student centered
- The laboratory is well equipped, Analytical and organic lab with built in area 104 sq.meters.
- Students are assessed continuously to keep a track of their academic performance
Teachers are easily available to the students in the department from 9am to 4pm
Department activities of the Academic year 2017-18
- Class seminars was organized for students of I, II and III B.Sc.
- Student faculty from III B.Sc gave a lecture on the topic drugs to II BSc students on 12-01-2018.
- Chemistry puzzle was organized to I BSc students on 05-02-2018.
- visit to wonderla with final year BSc students .
- Guest lecture was organized to BSc studentsGuest speaker: Dr.J G Manjunatha ,Topic : coordination compounds.
On behalf of national science day Various competitions was organized to BSc students
-22 february essay competition.
-23 february quiz competition .
-26 february presentation of seminars.
- Result statistics: chemistry Oct/nov 2017
I BSc 1 semester 93%
II BSc 3 semester 89%
III BSc 5 semester 88%
NATIONAL SCIENCE DAY 2018
To encourage young minds and to show the importance of science in everyday life National Science Day was organized by department of science on 1st of March, 2018 Thursday at Seminar Hall. The theme of the day was “Science and Technology for a Sustainable future”.
The function started with the inauguration, chief guests were Dr. Indira Kalyana Sundaram, Scientist ,Department of Botany, Madras University, K,G Uthappa, Secretary Cauvery Education Society (R) and Dr. Rohini Thimmaiah, Principal, Coorg Institute of Pre-University college, ponnampet.
Mime show was performed by the students of I B.Sc to create an awareness of the importance of water.
In connection with National Science Day celebration 2018 general science quiz were conducted for non science staff.